There are a few at-home remedies for lice that most people have heard about since childhood. Mayonnaise and peanut butter are two of the more popular ones, but what most people don’t talk about are the chemical remedies that some people use in an attempt to rid themselves of the issue. These remedies do not guarantee a lice-free scalp and often are dangerous to the body and the environment. Here are a few of the popular chemical treatments for lice and their effects on the body.
Does Chlorine kill lice?
One popular misconception is that head lice can be killed by the chlorine found in swimming pools. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The parasites hold on tight even when submerged. There are some chemicals that will get the little critters out, but they can be a lot more harmful than the chlorine found in your backyard pool.
Lindane Lice Shampoo
This lice treatment is regarded by professionals to be an extremely dangerous form of head lice treatment. This method is banned in 52 different countries and is prescribed as a second-line treatment for lice. This neurotoxin can potentially be absorbed through the skin, resulting in serious health issues. It can harm the nervous system, kidneys, liver, and more. The United States has banned its use for agricultural purposes, but the chemical is still being used to treat children with head lice. The bottle does not come with any warning labels and the effectiveness of the shampoo variant is overstated.
A slightly less common treatment for headlice, Carbaryl, has been categorized as a hazardous pesticide. This chemical has been shown to cause cell mutation. A study on rats showed that the pesticide disrupted cell behavior, and it is thought that the same effect could be possible on a human if the chemical is ingested
Stromectol is a pill that is used to treat patients with head lice infestations. This medication contains Ivermectin, the same drug that is used to kill parasites and treat heartworms in dogs. While this option does have the fewest negative side effects, there are still some possible symptoms such as dizziness, headache, and diarrhea.
This chemical is found in most head lice treatment kits you find at the store, for both hairs, and for spraying on furniture. It kills the head lice by targeting the central nervous system of the head lice, causing spasms, paralysis, and then death. There are several warnings on the bottle. One warns that if inhaled, the victim may become unable to breathe, and another that if it comes in contact with your skin, you need to rinse it off immediately. The side effects of using this chemical as a treatment for head lice include irritation, burning, nausea, muscle weakness, and in severe cases, seizures. On top of all that, this chemical is especially toxic to cats. Not your ideal furniture spray to say the least.
Lice Clinics of America in Racine, WI
Lice Clinics of America is a company dedicated to chemical-free treatment for head lice. We offer a guaranteed, same-day lice treatment. If you want to learn more about lice or our chemical-free lice treatment, contact us today or visit our Racine location.